What are the requirement for working in Ireland

If you are a citizen of a non-EEA country, you may not have automatic permission to work in Ireland. You may need to obtain a Work Permit or a Green Card Permit to work. According to the Department of Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation citizens of non-EEA countries who do not require Employment Permits include:

• a non-EEA national who has obtained explicit permission from the Department of Justice and Equality to remain resident and employed in the State
• a non-EEA national who has been granted refugee status
• a non-EEA national who holds appropriate business permission to operate a business in the State
• a non-EEA national who is a registered student working less than 20 hours a week
• Swiss nationals.

Employment Permit System

Permission to take up employment in Ireland

There are two things you need to consider before taking up employment in Ireland; Employment Permit and Visa. For both employment permits and visas, in most cases, you must secure an offer of employment first with an employer who is willing to support you through this process.

Types of Permits

There are a number of different types of employment permits and they are specific to the type of job on offer and also the duration of the contract.

Critical Skills Employment Permit

This permit is used to help attract highly skilled workers in demand in Ireland and puts the least onus on the employer to show a need to offer an employment permit. In order to be eligible for this type of employment permit, the job should be listed on the highly skilled eligible occupations list available at the following link:

General Employment Permit

For all other jobs not on the highly skilled eligible occupations list, there is the General Employment Permit. Typically, the salary must be €30,000 or more and the employer must have carried out a labour market test.

Dependent/Partner/Spouse Employment permit

These permits are for dependents, partners or spouses of employment permit holder and the criteria is much more relaxed. The most important things to consider when applying for this type of permit is to ensure that your proposed employer will wait for the permit to be processed and to have satisfactory details of the main employment permit holder.

What else do I need to work in Ireland

You should have a Personal Public Service (PPS) number. Your PPS number is a unique reference number which your employer uses to make the required tax and social insurance contributions on your behalf. You also use your PPS number when accessing social welfare and health benefits.

How do I apply for a PPS Number?

You apply through the Department of Social Protection. Not all social welfare offices issue PPS numbers so you should contact your local social welfare office go to ‘Contact Us’ on www.welfare.ie.

What do I need in order to apply for a PPS Number

In order to receive a PPS number, you will need to fill out an application form and provide proof of your identity. You will need to produce the following documents:
• Your passport or immigration card
• Evidence of your address in Ireland, for example, household bill (ESB, telephone, gas) or a rental agreement in your name.

How long will it take to get a PPS Number?

Usually 10 working days from the date you applied


Thanks to the moderating effect of the Atlantic Gulf Stream, Ireland’s climate is relatively mild for its latitude, with a mean annual temperature of around 10°C. The temperature drops below freezing only intermittently during winter, and snow is scarce- perhaps one or two brief flurries a year. The coldest months are January and February, where daily temperatures ranges from 4° to 8°C, with 7°C the average. In summer, temperatures during the day are a comfortable 15° to 20°C.

During the warmest months, July and August, the average is 16°C. A hot summer’s day in Ireland is 22° to 24°C, although it can sometimes reach 30°C. There are about 18 hours of daylight daily during July and August and it’s only truly dark after about 11pm. Ireland receives quite a bit of rain, with the wettest months being December and January.


Working and Living in UK

British work visas and residence permits

If you’re from the EU/EEA or Switzerland

If you’re from the European Union (EU), European Economic Area (EU plus Iceland, Lichtenstein and Norway) or Switzerland, as long as you have a valid passport or ID card, you don’t need a visa to come to the UK or a work permit to take on employment in the UK, unless you’re from the newer EU member, Croatia. If you’re a Croatian national, then you may need a registration certificate to work in the UK. See here for information. If you’re not from the EU/EEA or Switzerland but you’re living with a partner or other family member who is, then you can apply for residence card which shows employers that you’re allowed to work in the UK.

If you’re from outside EU/EEA or Switzerland

You’ll probably need a visa to come to the UK; apply at the British embassy or consulate in your home country. If you want to work in the UK, you will have to have a work permit. Your employer in the UK has to apply for a work permit on your behalf relating to a specific workplace.

There are different types of visa to come and work in the UK, depending on your qualifications, area of work, your skills, talents and age; each visa has different conditions and may require you to pass a points-based assessment.

Check here to find out if you need a visa to come and work in the UK, and for information on the different types of visas available and how to apply for one.

Weather in the UK

Although the seasonal differences in Britain are not as extreme as in some countries, there is still a significant difference between winter and summer. The year is split into four seasons roughly each 3 month long, though the weather in Britain can be very erratic and so the seasons often overlap or don’t follow the standard pattern.

Winter – December to February. Winter is the coldest month in the UK, running roughly from December to February although November can be very wintry also. Temperatures often get a low as freezing points, though not too much colder usually. This leads to frost in the mornings, ice on car windscreens and roads, and sometimes snow
Spring in the UK is all about new life springing up after the harsh conditions of winter. From March (roughly), the temperatures start to get warmer, frost get less frequent and days start to get longer. windy in Britain.

In theory summer in the UK should be hot and dry. In practice it is only hot in spells and it still rains quite a bit most summers. Temperature can reach 30 C. This increased in temperature matched by the increased hours of daylight which reach almost 17 hours in London in mid-June.

Autumn marks the gradual change from summer to winter and is probably the season with the biggest range in weather conditions. September and even October in Britain can often still be summery with higher temperature than August. Equally, Novembers can be very cold, and the UK sometimes even experienced widespread snow fall. In general, it is usually quiet wet and windy in autumn though it is so variable that one year after another, autumn can seem like different seasons.


I am looking farm work. Where should I start